|Soap Nut Berries with Muslin Bag..|
Soapnuts are not of the nut family, but grow on a tree and are more of a berry. They are great for allergy sufferers and are hypoallergenic, safe for us, and safe for dogs! If your not familiar with these soapnut berries, you can buy them online, just search them and you'll find them, I like NaturOli, they are great priced, and are clean and de-seeded.
What you will need:
Glass jar with lid.
*A large pot.
*12-15 Soapnut Berries.*clean empty shampoo bottle.
*Any of these essential oils will work, they are dog safe, (not for cats)
Lavender, Chamomile, Sweet Orange.
*vitamin E oil.
*Grapefruit seed extract.
1) In a large pot, fill water half full. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, add your soapnuts. Let these cook for about 20 minutes. Let the liquid cool.
2) Secure the muslin bag around the mouth of the jar and pour into the muslin bag, into the jar. Ease the muslin bag carefully up, and squeeze the liquid and berries out thoroughly.
3) Now repeat the steps using the same used soap nuts, fill the pot halfways again, empty them out of the muslin bag and into the water, repeat cooking for 20 minutes. You can do this 3 seperate times, following the same steps, and you'll get around 6-8 quarts of liquid.
4) Use your cooled soapnut liquid, and funnel it into your clean bottle, fill 3/4 the way.
5) Now add 2 table spoons of castille soap.
6) Add your choice of the dog safe essential oils, 5-7 drops.
7) Add your grapefruit seed extract (natural preservative), about 5-7 drops.
8) Add a few drops of vitamin E oil. Shake well. (Or you can blend in blender.) Let the bubbles settle, fill the rest of the bottle with more of the soapnut liquid. Shake again.
*The essential oils listed are all nerve calming, helps with skin irritations, and are flea repelling. Only some essential oils are proven safe for dogs. Make sure you research an oil before you use it on your dog!
*Use at your own risk when making this recipe. Apply a small amount to test for any irritation. We have used this recipe successfully without any harmful side effects.*